The goal of the project is to map and analyse the transformation of intended learning outcomes into achieved learning outcomes and this way understand features and factors that influence the transformation of intentions into teaching, learning, and assessment. The research will focus on initial vocational education and training, in schools and apprenticeships. As part of the study, with partners and national experts we will explore 1) the influence of learning outcomes on pedagogical theory and tools, 2) the influence of learning outcomes-based curricula on teaching practice (in school-based programmes), 3) the influence of learning outcomes-based curricula on company training (apprenticeship programmes), 4) the influence of learning outcomes on assessment and 5) provide suggestions/lessons for the way forward supporting stakeholders and policy makers in addressing future challenges and opportunities related to learning outcomes. Findings will help to better understand the overall influence of learning outcomes on teaching, learning and assessment in IVET, and this way better grasp the conditions for high quality vocational education, training, and learning.
Methods chosen differ across five assignments that comprise the study, but, as the first step, we will conduct national level interviews and surveys of teachers, trainers and employers that will feed into all work assignments. In addition:
- WA1: To analyse how learning outcomes approach is embedded in pedagogical theory, presented to future teachers and seen by them, we will conduct literature review and interviews with teacher trainer providers.
- WA2: To analyse how learning outcomes approach influences teaching practice at schools, we will carry out 10 in-depth case studies. As part of these, we will review national and provider level documentation, and conduct site visits to VET providers (including interviews and focus groups).
- WA3: To analyse how learning outcomes approach influences company training/apprenticeships, we will conduct desk research, site visits to companies (including interviews, focus groups and participant observation), and additional national level interviews.
- WA4: To analyse how learning outcomes approach influences assessment, we will conduct desk research, site visits to VET providers (including interviews, focus groups and participant observation) and additional national level interviews.
- WA5: To synthesise research findings and develop suggestions/lessons for the way forward supporting stakeholder and policymakers, we will build on the findings of WA1-4 and conduct additional literature review, and workshops at national and EU level.