In November 2020, PPMI (in cooperation with KEA) commenced implementation of the study ’The situation of theatres in the EU Member States’ (client: European Commission, DG EAC). The purpose of this study is to provide a comprehensive mapping of the social and economic profile and impact of the theatre sector in EU Member States. The study has four main objectives:
- To make relevant data available, which will bridge the knowledge gap about the theatre sector:
- Data on the socio-economic situation and an overall picture of the sector;
- Data about the reactions of theatres following the COVID-19 crisis;
- Data on the educational aspect of theatre professionals.
- To highlight best practices created and displayed during the COVID-19 crisis.
- To facilitate action at European level as well as cooperation between organisations and artistic companies.
- To provide input for policy recommendations and follow-up at European level.
To achieve this, we proposed a mixed-methods approach. We will carry out desk-research / systemic literature review, interviews (10 EU-level interviews, and 50 national-level interviews as part of the case study programme), 10 country case studies, and an EU-wide survey of public and private theatres, and theatre professionals. The data collected will feed into a comprehensive mapping of the socio-economic situation of the theatre sector in the EU. The preliminary findings and recommendations of this study will be discussed in a validation workshop.
The assignment is expected to be completed by the end of August 2021.