At PPMI, Sonata’s work is focused on the areas of research and innovation and health policy areas as well as performance management of organisations. She is currently coordinating Data4Impact (H2020 grant), a project which focuses on developing new quantitative indicators for the assessment of the research outputs, results and impacts produced in SC1 and national research programmes. In Data4Impact, Sonata is responsible for organisational project activities, smooth execution of research tasks and timely delivery of outputs, validation workshops and contractual meetings organisation, and dissemination activities. Recently, Sonata has also been significantly contributing to three large scale evaluation projects commissioned by the EU institutions, including two studies supporting the evaluations of REA and ERCEA under FWC GROW, and the evaluation of CHAFEA under FWC SANTE. Prior to that, she was involved in several projects related to open science, including a H2020 OpenUP project, which analyses new methods, indicators and tools for peer review, impact measurement and dissemination of research results, and the study on open access to publications and research data management and sharing within ERC projects.
Prior to joining PPMI in 2017, Sonata has worked for A New American Economy, where she analysed federal, state and local legislation and political climates, launched a bi-partisan Congressional engagement strategy, and developed an advocacy campaign for a high-skilled immigration reform in the US. Sonata has an educational background in political science and international political economy gained during BA studies in International Studies at Fordham University and field work in the North America, Europe & Africa. She is fluent in English and Lithuanian, and has a working knowledge of Spanish and French.
Key areas of expertise
- Policy areas: research and innovation, health, performance management
- Research methods: structured and semi-structured interviews, survey design, statistical analysis, case studies, focus groups, desk research
- BA in International Studies, Honours, Fordham University Lincoln Centre in New York, USA, 2017
- Study Abroad Program (Democratic Innovations & European Security), Fordham University London Centre & University of Westminster in London, UK, 2016
- Big data approaches for improved monitoring of research and innovation performance and assessment of the societal impact in the Health, Demographic Change and Wellbeing Societal Challenge (commissioned by the European Commission, DG RTD, 2017 – ongoing)
- Study Supporting the Evaluation of the Research Executive Agency (REA) 2015 – 2018 (commissioned by the European Commission, DG RTD, 2018-ongoing)
- Study Supporting the Evaluation of the European Research Council Executive Agency (ERCEA) 2015 – 2018 (commissioned by the European Commission, DG RTD, 2018- ongoing)
- Study supporting the evaluation of the operation of Consumer, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency (CHAFEA) 2014-2016 (commissioned by DG SANTE, 2017 – 2018)
- Study on open access to publications and research data management and sharing within ERC projects (commissioned by ERCEA, 2017 – ongoing)
- OPENing UP new methods, indicators and tools for peer review, impact measurement and dissemination of research results – OpenUP – Horizon 2020 project (commissioned by DG RTD, 2016 – 2018)