Joona Nikinmaa joined PPMI in August 2021 as a senior researcher. He completed his PhD at the European University Institute in Florence, Italy, focusing on the development of European venture capital markets, innovation policies, and innovative entrepreneurship during European integration. Before his PhD, Joona gained experience in both public and private sectors, working as a researcher for a Finnish market research company, and as a research assistant for the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare, the University of Helsinki, and a mutual insurance company among others.
Key areas of expertise
- Policy areas: science, technology, and innovation, financial markets and innovation financing, entrepreneurship.
- Methods: qualitative and quantitative research methods, including interviews, case studies, surveys, statistical analysis.
- PhD, European University Institute, 2021
- MRes, European University Institute 2017
- MSSc, University of Helsinki 2014
- BSSc, University of Helsinki 2012