Hanna has been working in PPMI since the beginning of 2011. Her main research interests and fields of work are centred on migration, social inclusion, education and gender equality policies in Europe and Central Asia. During her work in PPMI she gained valuable policy evaluation and research experience by contributing to numerous impact evaluations and studies covering education governance and promoting educational change, analyzing assessment policies, school innovation, teacher education systems, etc. Hanna has led research projects commissioned by European Commission, European Parliament, Eurofound, UNICEF, EIGE and national ministries. She also represents PPMI in the Executive Board of the European Policy network on education of immigrant and minority students (SIRIUS) and assists in coordinating several research activities in the Network on the social dimension in education and training (NESET).
Key areas of expertise
- Thematic policy areas: education (early childhood education; primary and secondary school education of disadvantaged groups of children, including migrant children, education for diversity, teacher training, education governance, assessment in education), social inclusion, migration and children’s rights policies, gender equality
- Methods: quantitative and qualitative research methods, including desk-based research, interviews, surveys, QCA and others, experience in systematic literature reviews with EPPI Reviewer 4.
- Project management: coordination of multinational experts' teams; organisation of experts' meetings; contract and invoice management.
- MA in Public Policy, Central European University, 2010 (awarded Open Society Foundation scholarship)
- BA in International economic relations, Belarusian State Economic University, 2008
- 2016 Swiss Summer School in Social Science Methods (Visual thinking for researchers; Qualitative Comparative Analysis (QCA), Lugano, August 2016
Selected projects (title, client, dates, function)
- Study Situation analysis on children affected by migration in Central Asia (UNICEF ECARO, December 2018 – on-going, Research manager and senior researcher).
- Foresight study ‘Prospective Report on the Future of Assessment in Primary and Secondary Education’ (European Commission, DG EAC, December 2018 – May 2019, Researcher).
- Research project ‘Science and scientific culture as an educational challenge’ (European Parliament, CULT Committee, December 2018 – February 2019, Researcher).
- Study Regional Conceptual and Programmatic Framework on skills for adolescents in Europe and Central Asia (UNICEF ECARO, November 2018 – on-going, Research manager and senior researcher).
- SIRIUS 2.0: Policy Network on Migrant Education (European Commission, DG Education and Culture, 2015 – ongoing, Member of the Steering Committee)
- Study to design and carry out a nation-wide study on the profiles of children with low-learning levels (UNICEF Uzbekistan, January – December 2018, Research manager and senior researcher)
- Study on Supporting school innovation in Europe (European Commission, DG EAC, December 2015- December 2017, Research manager and senior researcher)
- Study How Initial Teacher Education Prepares Student Teachers to Deal with Diversity in the Classroom (European Commission, DG EAC, December 2015- December 2016, Research manager and senior researcher)
- SEEPRO-R project ‘Workforce Profiles in Systems of Early Childhood Education and Care in Europe’ (Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth, August 2015 – July 2017, national researcher for Lithuania)
- Review and Monitoring of Migrant Education in the EU (European Parliament, December 2015 – December 2016, national researcher for Lithuania)
- Network of experts on the social dimension of education and training (NESET) (European Commission, DG Education and Culture, January 2015-present, member of coordination group)
- Erasmus + grant project ‘Professional capacity dealing with diversity’ (European Commission, DG Education and Culture, October 2014 – August 2017)
- Study on the diversity within the teaching profession with particular focus on migrant and/or minority background (European Commission, DG Education and Culture, December 2014 – December 2015, national research for Lithuania)
- External evaluation of European Gender Equality Institute (EIGE) (EIGE, September 2014 – September 2015, senior evaluator)
- Study on Additional resources in early childhood education and care for the inclusion of children with disabilities, disadvantages or difficulties, Lot1 and Lot3 (Eurofound, May 2014 – November 2014, Senior researchers)
- Study “Assessing childcare services in Europe” (Eurofound, October 2013 – August 2014, Senior researcher)
- Study on the effective use of early childhood education and care (ECEC) in preventing early school leaving (ESL) (European Commission, DG Education and Culture, 2012 - August 2014, Senior researcher)
- SIRIUS: European Policy Network on the education of children and young people with a migrant background (European Commission, DG Education and Culture, 2012 – 2014, national partner for Lithuania)
- Study on educational support for newly arrived migrant children (European Commission, DG Education and Culture, 2010 – 2012, Researcher)
- The evaluation of the impact of the EU instruments affecting children's rights with a view to assessing the level of protection and promotion of children's rights in the EU (European Commission, DG Justice, 2009 – 2011, junior researcher)
- Lipnickienė, K., Siarova, H. and van der Graaf, L. (2018), Role of non-formal education in migrant children inclusion: links with schools. SIRIUS Watch monitoring report, 2018.
- Siarova, H. & Tudjman,T. (2018). Developing teachers’ capacity to deal with diversity. Sirius Policy Briefs Series No 9.
- Peleman, B., Lazzari, A., Budginaitė, I., Siarova, H., Hanuari, H., Peeters, J., Cameron, C., “Continuing professional development and ECEC quality: findings from a European systematic literature review”, European Journal of Education, Special issue: Innovative approaches towards continuous professional development in early childhood education and care. A European perspective, January 2018. doi: 10.1111/ejed.12257
- Siarova, H. and Buinauskas. D. (2017). “Lithuania – ECEC Workforce Profile.” In Workforce Profiles in Systems of Early Childhood Education and Care in Europe, edited by P. Oberhuemer and I. Schreyer. www.seepro.eu/English/Country_Reports.htm
- Siarova, H.; Sternadel, D.; Mašidlauskaitė, R. (2017), Assessment practices for 21st century learning: review of evidence, NESET II report, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union. doi: 10.2766/71491
- Herzog-Punzenberger, B.; Le Pichon-Vorstman, E.; Siarova, H., ‘Multilingual Education in the Light of Diversity: Lessons Learned’, NESET report, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, 2017. doi: 10.2766/71255.
- Budginaitė, I., Siarova, H., Sternadel, D., Mackonytė, G., Spurga, S. (2016). ‘Policies and practices for more equality and inclusion in and through education: Evidence and policy guidance from European research projects funded under FP6 and FP7’, NESET report, Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union. doi: 10.2766/300891
- Peeters, J., Cameron, C., Lazzari, A., Peleman, B., Budginaite, I., Hauari, H., Siarova, H. (2015). Early childhood care: working conditions, training and quality of services – A systematic review. Eurofound 2015.
- Mägi, E. & Siarova, H. (2014). Migrant education opportunities in the Baltic States: strong dependence on the level of school preparedness. Praxis Center for Policy Studies, 2014.
- Siarova, H. & Essomba, M. (2014). Language Support for Youth with a Migrant Background: Policies that Effectively Promote Inclusion. Sirius Policy Briefs Series, Migration Policy Institute Europe, November 2014.
- Pereira, P., Monkevicius, A., Siarova, A. (2014). Public perception of the Environmental, Social and Economical impacts of Urban Sprawl in Vilnius, Societal Studies, 6, 256 – 290.doi:10.13165/SMS-14-6-2-03